Thursday 31 October 2013

Funayūrei


The next thing I knew I was over the side
The black waters rose up to enfold me
The cold night without
Became the inner night of the ocean's depths
The endless expanse of water
That would become my tomb

My head broke the water's freezing surface
The ship that bore me already receding
To a distant point
On the bleak, storm ravaged horizon
Marooned among the towering waves
Suddenly alone, utterly lost

The waters closed above my pleading lips
Encased in silence my body descends
Towards the locker
Sparks and flashes from dying Neurons
Images from birth to grave
Tears lost at sea



Here's the good ship Francesca
Its business is your pleasure
Her captain will make your voyage a joy
That's certain by any measure
It cuts through the mighty Atlantic
Searching for the Northern Lights
With days of relaxation and shopping
Followed by crazy party nights

Has anyone seen daft old Jim
Who tells stories of his novelty shed
He knocked back a right old skinful
Before he excused himself to bed
We'd better go and check he's alright
Last night was blowing up a storm
He might have fell and banged his head
Before he managed to find his dorm

Jim!  There you are, daft old goat!
Recovered from your evening's repast?
You need to get some food in your belly
Let's go and get some breakfast
You're awfully quiet this morning
Has the hangover got your tongue?
Let's have some hair of the dog
That'll bring back a sense of fun!

Jim, I never took you for a soup fan
That ladle would feed the whole crew!
Don't have the lot you greedy thing
There's more mouths to feed than just you!
"I don't call this a ladle," said Jim coldly
"The true word for this thing is 'hishaku'
It is the tool with which my vengeance
Shall be brought down with fury upon you

"You'll never eat again," pronounced the man with grey skin
"It's not soup but the ocean this thing dishes
For the ocean has judged and found you guilty
And now you're going down to join the fishes
For I fell overboard and was left
I screamed for help, and nobody came
Think on that, when Davy Jones comes for you
And remember that you die in shame"

In truth that was not Jim that stood there
In his place stood a Funayūrei
A name whispered in fear by the eastern folk
A ghost for a soul lost at sea
And from the hishaku as he called it
A flood of saltwater came streaming
And the passengers turned and fled in terror from that place
Filling the ship with their screaming

---

In the cold grey morning I watch, impassive
The last survivors calling out, helpless
Just as I was
Mere specks in an endless valley of water
That rises and falls
And slowly consumes them

Quieter now, they are disappearing one by one
Down to the same place
Becoming as I
Their struggles fade, their spirits bow
Hope fails at last
Silence descending

I remain by the grave
A new sister
Is standing by my side
We depart
Further judgements await
The waves continue, eternal

 

No comments:

Post a Comment