Sunday 18 September 2016

I Always Feel Like


I raised my eyes to the sky, which was grey and forbidding. And yet, as I lowered them again, I could still see for many miles. For my vantage point was the courtyard of a temple that sat atop a mountain. In the distance I could hear the ominous clanging of a bell; a sound that vibrated through the mountain and thus vibrated through me. The sound, to my senses, felt as far away as the furthest ocean, but deeper than the roots of the lofty peaks that surrounded me.
                In front of me there stood a tall priest who wore elaborate, ceremonial robes. His bald head reflected the morbid skies, and in his hand he held a mighty staff. “Ask your question,” he commanded me. “Ask of me the thing that you have travelled so far to discover.”
                I inhaled slowly, and asked the question. “Who Watches the Watchers?”
                In reply, the priest swung his staff around and pointed towards another temple that also sat atop a mountain far away. “They do!” he declared, “It is they who indeed Watch the Watchers!”
                “And who Watches them?” I demanded to know.
                “They do!” the priest answered me. As he spoke there was another clap of thunder, and he moved his staff to point at another Temple that was adjacent to the first. “They are
Watchers who watch the Watchers Watching the Watchers!
                “But perhaps you wish to see more?” he asked me, “Then look at them!” he commanded, and a chime boomed out, making my teeth chatter. He pointed at another temple far away which rested upon another mountain top.  “At that place live the Watchers who observe the Watchers who watch the Watchers Watching the Watchers!
                “But there is still more!” the priest proclaimed, and pointed to yet another temple on yet another distant mountain top, as the wind howled like a banshee with a megaphone. “For living in this place we will find the Watchers who scrutinize the Watchers observing the Watchers who watch the Watchers Watching the Watchers!
                “And there is us,” the Priest concluded, “we who live here, for we are the Watchers who have our eyes upon the Watchers scrutinizing the Watchers who observe the Watchers Watching the Watchers that watch the Watchers!”
                And now, finally, I had come to the moment when I would ask my main question. And so I drew myself up as best I could and offered a challenge to the tall Holy Man who barred my path. “And who watches you?” I said, my voice bordering on accusation.
                There was a silence then. The weather and the gong grew still. It was a silence that I felt in my very soul; it was a silence that muted angels and demons, held the planets in their place and halted the movements of the Galaxies.
And then the priest pointed his staff at a new location.
                “They do!” he revealed. And at his proclamation the Universe came to life again, the gong gonged and the lightening thundered. He pointed out another temple now, much nearer, the existence and sight of which I had hitherto somehow not been aware. “For it is they,” he continued, “who Witness the Watchers that have their eyes upon the Watchers scrutinizing the Watchers who observe the Watchers Watching the Watchers that watch the Watchers!”
                The angels sang now, and the demons laughed. Worlds span upon their axis, and the forces of nature compelled the atoms of reality to obey. And the priest took a step towards me, his expression crafty. “Now I expect you wish to know…” he gestured towards the temple that was last revealed to me, “who watches them?”
                The gong gonged, the thunder rolled, and a fork of lightening split the heavens as though God wished to illuminate this moment and witness it for Himself.
                I scratched my chin and considered for a minute. “Nah, I think I’ll leave it there,” I decided.




2 comments:

  1. Nice. That's sort of how I felt when I tried to read about quantum physics. There are watchers there, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want to know who watches their watches.

    ReplyDelete